It has been a while since I posted! I have been incredibly busy!!! While my main focus has been on Cade the past 5 months, I can't forget my Carter. He will be 3 years old tomorrow! I just don't know where the time has gone...He is a big boy now and so independent! Ahh, Bittersweet! So, we had our follow up in BR yesterday with Cade. The pulmonologist was very impressed with the difference in Cade's tone and alertness. He can tell what a difference the nutrition has made for his total wellness. He also reviewed the sleep study results again with me and stressed the severity of his obstructive sleep apnea. He said that if Cade was a "typical kid" and he had that bad of a sleep study-he would automatically say he would need an alternate airway...as in Tracheostomy...But good news is he is not "typical" and he will grow out of this! That just gives you an idea of how bad he is obstructing while sleeping. The pattern is that as the tone improves so will the sleep apnea. He also wants Cade to start eating by mouth because that will also help his airway issues. Chewing, swallowing, sucking...that all works those oral and neck muscles to help his breathing. He really does not want the tube in his nose, and said he wants to give him a chance to eat by mouth again before going through with the G-tube surgery. He feels that the swallow study will be better if we did it again and that he can tolerate pureed substances. I'm hoping it is, but I am not so sure it will be. I can tell by his audible swallows that he still sometimes aspirates on his saliva. I am ready to try though, and if G-tube surgery can be avoided then that would be great. We are going to try to do the swallow study in Fl when we are there Nov. 2nd. Our schedule is so crazy for our visit that I don't know for sure if we will be able to do it. I'm hoping we can though, because Dr. Miller really wants to be in on it. I will be insane come Monday. We are flying, and our flight schedule is absolutely insane! This trip was so rushed and lets just say things weren't thought out too well. We literally will not even be in Florida 24 hours. Flying in Monday night and leaving Tuesday afternoon. Not to mention the drive from the airport is 1 1/2 hours away from Gainesville. We are flying Southwest and they only fly into Jacksonville. Ahh, I will be a total wreck! Thankfully, my friend Sunni will be with me on this adventure. When the trip was initially planned it was just a check up with Dr. Miller and her team. Since then we have had the aspiration issues and now have a little more that we are trying to fit in our visit. I will update as soon as I get home...Hopefully all goes well, Wish me Luck!!!
So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it. Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...
Comments
Post a Comment