So, the inevitable happened. Cade's feeding tube was pulled out Monday. He is on continuous feeds..which means...he eats for 20 hours a day and can be off for 4. So, I knew I had a 4 hour stretch before he needed to eat again. I thought it would be just as simple as going to the ER and getting the tube put back in. Not so much. Little did I know that no ER in Houma or Thibodaux would put it back in. Cade has a TP tube which bypasses the stomach and goes straight to his small intestine. It has to be verified with x-ray for placement after being put in. It really is not that big of a deal to put in! It is put in just like an NG tube besides the fact that you push it a little further with a syringe and take an x-ray for placement...Voila! I could do it myself! So, from now on if and when the tube comes out again we have to go to a Pediatric ER. Children's Hospital or OLOL. Everything is fine now though! The tube is a bit of a pain, but it is not SO bad. Cade is still happy and thriving! I'm thinking that it is an alternate approach to surgery for now. I know it is very temporary, but I will keep it as long as allowed. I feel that he is doing too well to not. We know that his swallow issues will get better in time and he will no longer aspirate hopefully sooner than later. I'm thinking I will have the swallow study repeated in November when we make our trip to Fl. We can then go from there...I will not put Cade through surgery if I do not have to. Dr. Miller increased his GH and we got started on the new dose Tuesday. We have added a new therapist into our schedule. She is a wonderful speech and language pathologist! This is really important for him to have now that these feeding issues have come up. So, now we have PT twice a week, OT, and Speech. We are seeing great progress with our lil guy! I can't believe he is already 5 months old today. He has brought so much joy, and I am so very thankful for him.
So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it. Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...
Comments
Post a Comment