Guess I will start from the very beginning...10 days ago I brought Cade to the Pediatrician because he had been irritable the night before and I wanted to be sure to stay on top of whatever may be coming on. I knew it had to be a touch of something Carter had, since he had been sick for about a week prior. No real diagnosis for Carter, tonsils were huge and ugly, Strep swab was negative so it was said to be tonsillitis and gave antibiotics. When Cade was seen on the Friday, his throat looked nasty and so they swabbed, Step was positive. Confusing, but we figured well that is what they both have, just must have been too early to show a positive when Carter was seen. Ok, so both had antibiotics through the weekend. Carter's energy and personality started to come back, but he still had a horrible cough. By Sunday Cade was starting to get a little congested. Monday we woke up and his breathing was really rapid. I watched it and eventually got worried enough to go in to the Pediatrician. They took us to the back and Pulse Ox read 87, they were freakin. Cade was so lethargic by this point...He couldn't even hold his eyes open and his belly was pumping. They called an ambulance to take us to the local ER. His Pediatrician dropped everything and came with us. She did not want to leave his side. LOVE them for that especially! Did the whole rundown at the ER and Cade calmed down after getting some oxygen, but was still in clear respiratory distress. He was working so hard to breathe...poor baby was pooped. Not long after being there we got the culture...RSV Positive! F You Blue Cross! Anyways, His Pediatrician wanted him air med to Children's Hospital in New Orleans asap. She was worried that if he did give out from working so hard to breathe that he would be able to have the proper care. She mentioned possible intubation....AAHHH. Not what I wanted to hear and when I did I could feel this overwhelming heat come over my ears, I got a little dizzy, heard ringing in my ears..then pulled it together and said Ok, whatever we have to do. I didn't get to console my baby on his first(and hopefully last) helicopter ride. No parents allowed...I think he was traumatized. They said he called for me the whole ride. Poor man. Once we were able to go in the PICU to see him, I was so relieved...Then they told me he was on 100% Oxygen and 8 liters of flow...Then I felt sick again. I'm not a nurse or a doctor but I know that is a lot of breath support. My little guy was so weak. Lots of weaning and monitoring and now here we are on the regular floor. I am a nervous wreck tonite. I wanted him out of ICU so bad, but it is a bit nerve wrecking not knowing what his oxygen and respiratory rate is 24/7. He is not hooked up to anything here. Just 1/2 liter of Oxygen. They come in every 4 hours to do vitals. He is still working a little hard to breathe, but I have been reassured that they felt good about moving him. I think the hardest part is seeing him so out of it and down. It has been a week and smiles have been far and few between. He utters very few words and is usually too weak to even say anything. He is just not himself...at all...not even a little bit. I hope he bounces back and picks right up where he left off. I miss my sweet guy! :(
I also miss my Carter, he has been bounced back and forth. He misses his brother and Momma. He can't go into ICU to see Cade. He asked me today when his brother would get better?
I miss both of my boys!
I am so thankful for friends and family who have showed their concern and for those that helped out. I was able to have my Mom, Grandma, and Carter here in New Orleans for the weekend. A very special friend got the closest hotel room for them to stay in. We were able to take shifts with Cade and I was actually able to take a nice shower and bath. ICU has no bathrooms in the patients room. There was a bathroom and shower in the family waiting room. How weird..taking a shower with a room full of total strangers out your door..Um, No. I have never been so appreciative of a hot shower before. The hotel made it so convienet and easy on us. We are so thankful!
On the bright side...Tomorrow, I get to see my wonderful husband and he is going to bring Carter up. Since Cade is not in ICU anymore he can have visitors. Brothers will reunite..minus the germs...I hate germs even more now and will do my best to keep Cade in a bubble through winter. :)
Goodnite, I will be up listening to Cade's breathing all night.
Comments
Post a Comment