This is a good thing...Phase 1b has officially begun. Instead of having to force Cade to eat he shows interest and eats like a "normal" baby should. This really just started yesterday...I was holding him and he saw is bottle sitting on the TV tray...He started throwing a fit for it. He was fussing and throwing himself back. When I picked up the bottle to feed him, he started chuckling. I could not believe it! It was like a switch was flipped...Such a difference! If you don't know, there are phases to PWS. Cade has been in the failure to thrive phase, which is called 1a. I had posted a while back on what the different phases were in detail (I think). I will post more on that later. This is basically the normal baby phase and he will stay here for a while. The next phase is where the obesity can set in, but not the food seeking. Just meaning that they still eat normally, but everything has to be monitored closely because they start metabolizing foods different, which can lead to the obesity. Then, the final phase is the hyperphagia...where the food seeking can start due to them always being hungry. Hoping we don't hit that phase for a loonngg time...and IF and WHEN Cade does I hope we are that much closer to a cure! Aside from that, Cade has been doing just great! He babbles like crazy and is the happiest baby ever....
So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it. Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...
Comments
Post a Comment