Cade's delays stick out now more than ever sometimes. I think now that he is well over two it shows more when we are around others his age...or even younger at that. I cringe sometimes at the things I see others doing, and the speed they do them at.
I mean Cade loves to play outside and jump and run...it is just so hard for him. It comes so natural to others, which sometimes slaps me in the face like a wake up call from hell.
With that being said, it is still OK for me. I know he is different and I am OK with that.
I never, ever dwell on things like this. I am always positive and I believe that is the only way to move forward.
This past weekend we visited with some dear friends of ours at their house. They have two boys as well. Their youngest is the same age as Cade, just a few weeks younger. Cade tried to keep up with his every step and nothing in the world bothered him. At one point their son imitated Cade's little run. He was making fun of him, but had no idea. It amazed me that even at 2 years old, he could recognize that Cade was different. It didn't matter to Cade though. It didn't matter that he couldn't get around on the push toy, or run through the puddles, or race bicycles. He was just happy being in his own little world. In the end, that is what matters most.
I just know one day, he will know he is different and he will know that things don't come as easy for him and he will recognize that people are making fun of him.
That day will break my heart.
Keep up the good work Cade.
You are perfect in every way my child!
Could have (or maybe I did?) write the exact same post for Dean. Luckily, there are more people in our lives who support him for being different than there are people who don't. But it still stinks to have moments of awareness like this, even if it's something you don't dwell on.
ReplyDeleteYep Ali, it does stink. I know so many others can relate. I am sure somewhere in your blog archive you have a post juuust like this.
ReplyDelete