I have been blessed with an extreme amount of support since Cade's birth and our journey. Some new friends, some old, and some complete strangers. One stands out to me. I remember getting a blog comment one night from someone I didn't know. She messaged me and I felt instant comfort. Just knowing that she was reading my blog, cared, and was just there. We talked online, but still never met until months later. We get to talk much more now that our boys take aquatics at the same time and I am so proud to call Erica my friend. She is an incredible Momma..Now here is why...
Visiting a public park is a common occurrence for children, but not all parks are created equal.
Erica has big plans for an Adaptive Park in our area and is putting on a 5K race in October to help make those plans a reality. After talking to Erica this weekend I have learned some exciting things and can't wait to see it unfold. The park is going to be amazing. The park is for everyone to enjoy while at the same time making it safe and accommodating for all children. I hope that all of my family and friends will show their support for this amazing cause. I already know you all will!
Here is Erica's Mission statement:
My mission for this park is to create a place where ALL children can play and interact, regardless of their disability.
My children have inspired me to bring this park into our community. Carson (4) and Braylon (9 months) were born with a rare neurological disorder called L1-CAM. Part of their condition is hydrocephalus, the other parts consist of adducted thumbs, developmental delays, shuffling gate, etc.
Their disability is a PART of them, it doesn't DEFINE them.
My children, along with other special needs children deserve a chance to play and have fun with other children. This park will allow them to do that.
My children have inspired me to bring this park into our community. Carson (4) and Braylon (9 months) were born with a rare neurological disorder called L1-CAM. Part of their condition is hydrocephalus, the other parts consist of adducted thumbs, developmental delays, shuffling gate, etc.
Their disability is a PART of them, it doesn't DEFINE them.
My children, along with other special needs children deserve a chance to play and have fun with other children. This park will allow them to do that.
That pretty much sums it all up.
Please download an application online or just ask for one and I can get it to you.
See you on race day!
Please download an application online or just ask for one and I can get it to you.
See you on race day!

Fantastic!! We have an adaptive park near us and it's so wonderful. I don't know how much it costs compared to a regular playground, but like you said, it's accessible to ALL children. Seems like a win-win to me! Good luck with your walk!
ReplyDelete