So, yesterday when I found out that Cade definitely had PWS I became a member of the PWSA Foundation. It is so great and there is endless information through them. When speaking to the lady she said she would get me set up with someone in my area who has a child with PWS to talk with. Today I received a call from her and she is super nice. Her son is 6 years old with PWS. She also told me about her best friend that lives here in Houma who has a daughter with PWS. I really look forward to keeping in touch with them and learning a lot through there experiences. I think it is amazing how I never heard of this before and now it is such a huge part of my life. It is so great that I have people so close to talk with and relate to. I also was able to do all the paperwork today needed to get Cade started with Early Steps. After all the initial steps, he should be able to be starting therapy through them within about a month. Seems like a great benefit! Yay for early intervention... : )
So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it. Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...
Comments
Post a Comment