So, we had a sleep study done in Gainesville this past Sunday and then saw the Pulmonologist as well as Dr. Miller on Monday. I don't yet know the exact results of the sleep study, but besides Cade and I having to be put through a living nightmare- I think the results were good, or should I say better. I can't imagine that he had zero apnea, since just 6 months ago he was obstructing up to 70 times per hour! The techs that did the study said that they didn't see any significant apnea spells. Now back to the nightmare part. Cade screamed for about 45 minutes straight before kinda sort of drifting to sleep. Then for the next 9 hours he would wake up SCREAMING every hour or so. He ripped wires off repeatedly, oh it was just horrible. I was so close to saying screw it and not doing it. But we got through it and hopefully don't have to worry about another one for a while. Dr. Miller is increasing Cade's calories because she wants him to gain some weight. We know he is little, but he just needs to grow more at this point. She also discovered a slight curve in Cade's spine, which looks like the start of scoliosis. We will have to get an x-ray to get more details, but catching it early will really benefit Cade. We made a little vacation of this trip and came to Panama City Beach for the rest of the week. It is just beautiful here and I could stay forever! The kids are having a blast...Pictures will come soon!
So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it. Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...
Comments
Post a Comment