Skip to main content

Paw.

So, its only been forever since I have posted and have really let my blog go. I have been wanting to take the time and start it up again. I have lots on my mind and in my heart to say, so here goes...

Well, today a great man's life ended. My Grandpa. He has been sick and suffering for a long time now and finally is at peace, and knowing that brings me to peace. It sure doesn't make things easier for the loved ones he leaves behind, but it is reassuring to know his pain is gone at last. 

I just got back from a good mind clearing run and thought about Paw almost the whole time. I created this sort of timeline in my mind of our life together. I was thinking back to my earliest memories of him. I was about 5 or 6 and we use to go to his house often to eat supper. Cooking was his talent and passion...most of you know this. But at that age, I never wanted to eat his cooking. I would turn my nose up to everything. He would tell me I didn't know what I was missing(and boy was he right!)... but nonetheless, he would fix me a bowl of butter rice.

 I remember the summers I spent with him. We would hang out every day. He would take me on his shopping trips where he would patiently browse every isle. He always knew how to find a deal. He would faithfully watch his stories and the price is right, while I played around on the computer in his office and dug in stuff. He would always grate me some fresh Parmesan cheese, I would eat it with my fingers straight out of the bowl. We would go to the pet store and although my parents never allowed me to get a guinea pig, which I wanted so badly...Paw still bought me the books to read all about them. It was the next best thing to having one. We shared the same love for Cabbage Patch Kids and he would let me peak in his closet sometimes at his special ones. I could go on and on...

As I grew older our visits may not have been as often, but the time we did spend was just as meaningful. I remember it was around the year 2000. I must have been about 11. I was terrified of the whole Y2K thing. I was so scared the world would end when the new year came. Paw told me to not worry. He assured me that people had been saying for years certain dates would be the end of the world. He was right.

Not too many memories through my teen years, besides when he scolded me for dying my hair and questioned any new color...Hehe. 

Fast Forward to my adult life...I realize just how special of a person my Grandpa is. He didn't take life for granted and always loved with all he had. He was always so spirited for all the holidays. I will miss that the most. No holiday will be the same without Paw's cheer he brought and set the scene with. We will carry that on though as best as we can. He was an awesome Great-Grandpa to Carter, and then Cade. He loved on Camille for a few months before he got sick. 

Then, through these last several months I still have great memories. Even, the pain and misery he was going through he still found the joy in life. Puckering his lips when he saw me for a kiss or just smiling so big, even through the pain...or Giving me a pouty lip when it was time for me to go home. He would always ask about the kids and how everyone was. It was never about what he was going through, but always about what we were up to....

We sure will miss that wonderful man. I am so thankful for all our memories together. Paw will always be in our hearts and in everything we do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust the process

So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it.  Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...

Tired and Thankful

I am the parent of an amazing boy. He is 9. He is smart, funny, and happy. I am the parent of a child with Prader-Willi Syndrome... PWS is a complex developmental disability that results from a defect on the 15 th chromosome. Because of an abnormality in the area of the brain called the hypothalamus, these individuals face challenges in learning, behavior and controlling their appetite. The message of fullness never reaches their brain and they are always hungry. The intensity of their food drive can vary but all require support and understanding if/when they are exposed to food or they attempt to seek food. Food security must be considered and provided in all environments and at all times. While I am first Mom to Cade, just as importantly I am his advocate in every aspect of his life for his rare disorder. I am tired. Remaining humble and thankful for all of Cade's progress is so very hard in the midst of advocating. Some days I feel as I...

Happy 5th Birthday Cade!

I can't believe we are celebrating your 5th birthday today. It seems like just yesterday I was awaiting your arrival. Boy, what a whirlwind it has been since then.  I have watched you go from a tiny, helpless newborn to a boy who already has his mind made up about just anything. You have taught our family so much about being strong and loving endlessly. You bring opportunities that I never imagined possible when I first held you in my arms. Life-long friendships have been made because of you. I will always encourage you, respect you, be your biggest fan, your advocate, and your supporter. I will always hope for a brighter, more accepting tomorrow. But above all, I will always love you for who you are.