I watched a story on the Today Show this morning that has been on my mind all day. It was about a young husband and wife who were both diagnosed with aggressive cancer within 9 days of each other. They have an 18 month old daughter. Elisa is combating stage 4 metastic breast cancer and Nathan is fighting stage 3 rectal cancer. Like Really??!! Click here to read their blog. I feel for this family. How can stuff like this really happen? I don't get it sometimes. Yet, they still remain strong and have an unbelievable amount of hope. They don't want people to feel sorry for them. This just brings me back to all the pity I received(and still do) when Cade was born. I have said from the very beginning, please don't feel sorry for me. When Cade was born those first few weeks were by far the hardest. I could not see the gift I had received. I see so clearly now. I love what I have learned from this little guy! Stories like this just make me appreciate everything I have in life that much more. I held my boys extra tight tonight and said an extra prayer for the Bond family...Maybe you can too!
So, today has been mentally taxing on me. From finishing up my Summer classes and final tests, to losing a dear, fellow PWS Mom friend, and then taking Cade to his first swim practice for the Special Olympics. I've shared extreme highs and extreme lows today, but as I unwind tonight I feel compelled to share this with whoever decides to read it. Some of you may know this about me, but most probably do not. I have always felt a strong attraction to working with those with special needs. It just always felt right and from a young age I remember looking up local jobs and volunteer opportunities..always searching for something to fulfill that desire. I was actually enrolled in college for Family and Consumer Science and was planning to go into Special Education. I had taken the Parapro assessment and actively looking for Para jobs. Then I became pregnant for Cade and life had other plans. Given my role now to Cade, isn't it ironic? OK, so here is an e-mail I dug up from my in...
Comments
Post a Comment